Children's Mercy Working Wonders
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics continues redefining pediatric medicine throughout the Midwest and around the world.
We are the only free-standing children's hospitals between St. Louis and Denver and provide comprehensive care from birth to 21 years of age. Children's Mercy consistently is ranked among the leading children's hospitals in the nation, and we were the first hospital in Missouri or Kansas to earn the prestigious Magnet designation for excellence in patient care from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Starting with a single bed in 1897, Children's Mercy has grown into the pediatric specialty provider of choice for families throughout the region. As a not-for-profit hospital, we provide millions of dollars in charity care each year. We are nationally recognized for our innovative, family-centered environment focused on the unique needs of hospitalized children and their families.
- Medical staff of more than 700 pediatric specialists
- More than 40 pediatric specialties
- First hospital in Missouri or Kansas to receive Magnet designation in 2003 from the American Nurses Credentialing Center for superior nursing quality
- First hospital in the region to receive redesignation in 2007 and again in 2012 Learn more >>
- More than 100 physician scientists, basic scientists, nurses, fellows and residents involved in research projects, representing millions of dollars in multi-year awards
- One of 13 nationally designated Pediatric Pharmacology Research Units, which study the safety of new medications for use by children
- The Center for Pediatric Genomic Medicine, established in 2011 as the first genome center in the world entirely inside a children’s hospital with a focus on the diagnosis of inherited pediatric diseases. One of the 10 leading institutions in the Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute, which also includes the University of Kansas, Midwest Research Institute, University of Missouri-Kansas City and the Stowers Institute. Learn more >>