High School Student Volunteer Program: 2018-2019 Academic Year Session
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children's Mercy! Our student volunteer roles are highly competitive and registration can close within weeks of opening. Please note: Children's Mercy only accepts 30 high school students for the Academic Year Session. Please note all communication will be sent to you via e-mail. Please use a valid e-mail address that you check often, and make sure to add email@example.com as a safe sender so the communication you receive does not go to your junk box/spam folder
The 2018-2019 Student Volunteer School Year Session is a volunteer commitment where you will volunteer once per week, the same day and time each week. Important session information:
- Students can volunteer during the fall semester (Aug. 20 to Dec. 23) and must meet a minimum of 50 volunteer hours during this time.
- Students can volunteer during the spring semester (Jan. 7, 2019 to May 19, 2019) and must meet a minimum of 50 volunteers hours during this time.
- Students can volunteer for both sessions (Aug. 20 to May 19, 2019) and must meet a minimum of 100 hours during this time.
- Regardless which session a student is interested in volunteering for, the same deadlines apply.
Get Experience and Give Back as a Volunteer
High school volunteers like you play an important role in helping the families Children’s Mercy serves have a positive experience.
From helping families find where they are going to entertaining kids in the waiting room, you’ll make a BIG difference in any role you take on. And, you’ll earn credit for volunteering!
As a high school student volunteer, you can’t shadow the medical staff or watch procedures, but you will get experience in a hospital setting and make a difference for kids and families when they need it most.
Explore Volunteer Opportunities for High School Students
High school student volunteers support the Children’s Mercy staff, as well as help make the experience here a positive one for patients, families and visitors.
Each opportunity uniquely supports our mission to transform the lives of kids cared for at Children’s Mercy.
Guest Services & Hospitality
Help make every visitor feel welcome and ensure they feel comfortable from the moment they walk in the door and throughout their time at the hospital.
Engage patients and their families in fun activities to help pass time in the waiting room areas throughout the hospital.
High School Student Volunteer Requirements
Please read the following requirements carefully and ensure you meet all of them before submitting your application. This process is in place to provide a safe, positive experience for our patients and their families, and for you as a volunteer.
- Age: You are at least 16 years old by Aug. 1, 2018.
- Time Commitment: You can volunteer in a three-hour shift in a specific role each week. For summer sessions, volunteers are asked to commit to 30 hours of service. During academic year sessions, volunteers are asked to commit to 50 or 100 hours of service.
- Health & Background Clearance: The health and safety of our patients and their families is paramount, so you’ll be required to pass a background check, complete a health form and maintain current vaccinations.
- Information Session: All new high school student volunteers must attend an in-person information session during which you will submit your completed health form and immunization record. Parent/guardian attendance is strongly encouraged.
- Performance Standards: You are prepared to abide by all hospital policies, including all patient confidentiality rules and customer service expectations.
Important Dates for the 2018-2019 Academic Year Session
- Monday, July 2: Deadline to submit the completed health form, application and attend an in-person information session.
- Thursday, Aug. 2 or Tuesday, Aug. 14: Orientation dates for new student volunteers (only required to attend one)
Steps to becoming a student volunteer
- Step 1: Complete a health and consent form. If you are a current or returning student you can skip this step and advance to step 2.
- Step 2: Sign up for an information session to attend. Information session sign up for the 2018-19 Academic Year Session is now closed.
- Step 3: Complete Application. After the information session, an application link will be sent via email.
- Step 4: Attend Orientation. This is for new students only. At orientation you will learn more about volunteering at Children’s Mercy
Have Questions About Being a High School Student Volunteer?
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about becoming a volunteer at Children’s Mercy.