Our athletic trainers are certified, licensed health care professionals whose primary concern is the optimal health of student athletes. Athletic trainers are responsible for providing educational and community outreach activities and athletic training services to numerous local high schools and club team sports. Having a certified athletic trainer present at games and practices ensures your student athletes are safer. They are there to manage emergency situations, as well as injury evaluation and management.
Athletic training services in schools and in the community
The athletic trainers at the Sports Medicine Center provide outreach coverage to many local high schools.
- In Missouri: Center High School, Central High School, East High School, Ewing Marion Kauffman School, Lincoln College Prep Academy, Northeast High School, Pembroke Hill School, Raytown High School, Ruskin High School, St. Teresa's Academy, Truman High School, University Academy, Van Horn High School, and William Chrisman High School.
- In Kansas: Bishop Ward High School, JC Harmon High School, Leavenworth High School, Louisburg High School, Piper High School, Schlagle High School, Sumner Academy, Turner High School, Washington High School, and Wyandotte High School.
We also have a number of community partnerships. Children's Mercy athletic trainers provide care for student athletes at events like the Kansas City Sports Commission/WIN for KC summer camps and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Division I Men’s National Championship at Municipal Auditorium.
Athletic training services within Children's Mercy
Within the Children's Mercy, our athletic trainers work collaboratively with the Orthopedic surgeons and Sports Medicine physicians at the Children’s Mercy Orthopedic Clinic, where they apply casts and braces, give proper instruction on home exercise programs and perform functional testing with patients. Our athletic trainers also play an important role in the:
- Motion Analysis Lab
- Young Athlete Conference committee
- Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Research
- Injury Prevention programs