RUBI Autism Parent Coaching Program
Children’s Mercy offers a parent coaching program for parents and caregivers of children with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disabilities. This evidence-based program, called Research Units in Behavioral Intervention (RUBI), was developed by a team of experts in development and behavior to provide a comprehensive curriculum for coaching parents to support their children.
RUBI provides parents with skills and strategies to decrease problem behaviors and teach adaptive skills to help their children be successful. Parents meet weekly with their therapist to work through the program.
RUBI program topics include:
- How to prevent and respond to problem behaviors.
- How to promote appropriate behaviors and teach skills.
- How to help your child succeed during daily routines.
Who will benefit from the RUBI program?
RUBI is a good fit for children diagnosed with autism and/or other developmental disabilities with mild to moderate problem behaviors (e.g., aggression, tantrums, noncompliance). RUBI is not a substitute for intensive early intervention such as ABA therapy or early childhood special education, but it can be a helpful resource for families hoping to integrate behavioral strategies into their home routines.
RUBI is not a good fit if:
- Your child is only diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, disruptive behavior, etc. Instead, consider the ADHD Clinic groups for preschool and school-age children and the other Child and Family Mental Health options for children with emotional and/or behavioral challenges.
- Your child’s primary needs are related to delays in language, play or social skills. Contact your insurance provider for community provider options.
- Your child has severe behaviors (such as self-harm, elopement, pica) or significant safety risks that require a higher level of care. Contact your insurance provider for community provider options.
- Your child is currently living outside the home.
We offer RUBI in both individual and group options:
|Individual format||Group format|
|Age range||2-10 years||2-7 years|
|Number of sessions (approximate)||11||11|
|Length of sessions (approximate)||45-60 minutes||75 minutes|
|Languages available||English, Spanish and other languages||English and Spanish|
Currently, all our RUBI sessions take place via telemedicine.
Note: It is your responsibility to contact your insurance provider to determine what mental health services are covered by your child’s plan. The billing codes that will be used for your service are available upon request.
Call (816) 683-9048 to express interest in RUBI. We will do a phone screening and start the eligibility determination process.
Para obtener más información sobre RUBI, LLAME AL (816) 683-9048.
- Autism Clinic
- Autism Evaluation Process
- What to Expect at the Autism Clinic
- Next Steps After Diagnosis
- Autism and Developmental Disorder Medical Clinic
- Upcoming Live Events
- Recorded Trainings
- Sesiones de entrenamiento grabadas en español
- RUBI Autism Parent Coaching Program
- Developmental and Behavioral Health Team
- Developmental and Behavioral Health