The Beacon Program at Children’s Mercy provides a pediatric medical home for hundreds of children with medical complexity. Our team streamlines the health care process for parents with at least one child with medical complexity, from birth to 21 years. Our patients typically have been diagnosed with complex, systemic, medical problems and use mechanical devices to treat their conditions.
Beacon Program Services
Our goal is to offer family-centered care for all of our patients’ families. We want to simplify the process of managing care, reduce patient visits and inpatient admissions. This starts by discovering and understanding the patient and family’s needs and developing a care plan unique to each patient. Our care team has been with some families for years, while others have been transitioned back to their primary care provider for ongoing care because their medical needs become less complex. Learn about what to expect from your experience at Children’s Mercy.
Beacon Clinic Services
Our Beacon Clinic provides out-patient services to our patients at our Children’s Mercy Broadway location. Patients and families are seen here on a regular basis according to their personalized care plan.
Beacon Program Staff
Families in the Beacon Program are cared for by a comprehensive medical team. Each family is seen by a primary care provider. The primary care provider works with a team of medical specialists, nurse practitioners, social workers, clinical service coordinators, case managers, registered dietitians and allied health providers to create care plans to meet each patient’s unique needs and provide ongoing support for family members.
- Our program is designed to maximize health outcomes for the more than 275 patients we serve. We create custom care plans for each patient.
- Patients are able to avoid unnecessary emergency department visits and inpatient admissions because of access of 24/7 access to a primary care provider who is a member of the Beacon team.
- Families experience greater satisfaction with the health care system because our team works with all specialists involved in the patient’s care and community providers.
- Our program includes care for the primary patient and their siblings (those with mild complexities and those who require routine pediatric care.) This offers families one medical home for multiple children.
- Ingrid Larson, MBA, MSN., APRN, CPNP lead the Beacon Program. Read the article from the Children’s Hospital Association about how the program is developing develop new care delivery models for rural children with complex medical conditions.
- The Beacon Program has achieved the highest level of recognition possible from the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a patient-centered medical home. To achieve level III recognition, the Beacon Clinic met or exceeded rigorous patient-centered medical home standards for addressing patient needs. Only 10 percent of all primary care practices nationwide have earned this recognition.