Our Billing Process
At Children’s Mercy, we understand that the billing process can be overwhelming, so we’ve created an outline of what to expect from our billing process.
- The scheduler will require that you provide your insurance information at the time of scheduling. This helps Children’s Mercy know if your insurance plan is in-network or out-of-network. Providing insurance at the time of scheduling will also allow us to abide by the No Surprises Act.
- If you insurance changes after your appointment schedules, please pre-register online.
- There are several factors that determine what a family will pay for health care at Children’s Mercy. Learn more about health care costs.
- We will ask you to make a payment prior to your service. This may be during a conversation with a member of our Financial Clearance team over the phone or at the time of your appointment. The amount requested will vary based on the service your child is receiving. A few select examples are provided below, however this is not an inclusive list.
- Office Visits:
- If you have a co-pay, we will collect your co-pay.
- If you don’t have a co-pay, we will collect a $50.00 payment towards your remaining deductible/co-insurance.
- For x-rays and ultrasounds, we will collect a $100.00 payment towards your remaining deductible/co-insurance.
- For CTs or MRIs, we will provide you an a customized patient estimate and request that you pay the estimated patient responsibility in full.
- We will provide you an a customized patient estimate and request that you pay the estimated patient responsibility in full.
- Please note, uninsured patients and patients who are enrolled in an out-of-network plan will have alternative amounts requested based on the service they receive.
- How do I get an estimate prior to my visit?
Please visit our Cost of Care Estimate tool.
- What financial resources are available to me?
We encourage you to contact the Children’s Mercy Financial Counseling team. They can help both uninsured and underinsured patients and families apply for financial resources for services that are eligible.
- We will submit a claim to your insurance provider.
- We may also contact you for assistance in processing your insurance claim.
- More than one bill may be sent based on date of service and type of service.
- For families who are able to pay their balance in full, credit card payments are accepted on the Pay my Bill webpage.
- Families who need alternative payment options may contact Customer Service at (816) 701-5100.
Financial Resources and Billing menu
- Financial Resources and Billing Information
- Cost of Care Estimate Tool
- Insurance Plans and Coverage Types Accepted
- FAQ: Understanding Health Care Costs
- Update Insurance Card or Demographics
- Insurance Terms and Definitions
- Pay My Bill
- Financial Counseling
- El Seguro
- Comprendiendo los Costos de Atención Médica
- No Surprises Act
- Ley de No Sorpresas
- Guarantor Change Request Form
- Billing Process
- Your Visit
- Contact Us