The Center for Sports Medicine at Children's Mercy is among the nation's premiere sports medicine programs and is specifically focused on caring for the student-age athlete.
Why Pediatric Sports Medicine?
Our team of sports medicine specialists understand the growing bodies of student athletes. Injuries to children can be very different from those experienced by older patients and our team of specialists is able to provide care that meets these unique needs. We are one of only a handful of programs in the country that provides a comprehensive approach to care, for a full range of youth sports injuries.
Commonly Treated Injuries
- Head: Sports-related concussions. Learn more about concussions.
- Shoulder: Dislocations, mult-directional shoulder instability, labral tears, rotator cuff strains, AC separations, and Little League Shoulder
- Forearm/Wrist/Hand: Fractures, dislocations and overuse injuries. Learn more about gymnast's wrist.
- Back: Sport-related back pain, spondylolisthesis, and spondylolysis
- Hip: Avulsion injuries, impingement, labral tears, and snapping hip syndrome
- Knee: ACL injuries, sprains, meniscal tears, Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD), patella dislocations, and patellofemoral knee pain
- Ankle and foot: Sprains, strains, fractures, instability, Achilles tendon and peroneal injuries
- Acute or chronic illness or conditions: Heat illness, exercise-induced asthma, female athlete triad, compartment syndrome, mononucleosis, and nutrition-related concerns affecting performance
The Center for Sports Medicine is proud to partner with several organizations in the Kansas City area. We provide athletic training services for student-athletes across the area. We also are working to improve youth health through our partnership with Sporting Kansas City.
Learn about our partnerships »