Critical Care Transport
Mercy Hospitals and Clinics' Critical Care Transport in Kansas
City, Mo. is a 24-hour a day dedicated pediatric- and
neonatal-critical care transport program, and winner of the
Transport Program of the Year, sponsored by the
Association of Air Medical Services.
The transport team has been
designed to bridge the gap between Children's Mercy Hospital and
other medical facilities to provide the most advanced, cutting-edge
care for neonatal and pediatric patients in the transport
environment. In addition, Children's Mercy Critical Care
Transport has earned the Fixed Wing Award of
Excellence and the Critical Care Ground Award of
Excellence. The transport program is
CAMTS (Commission on Accreditation of Medical
Transport Services)-accredited in all three modes of transport.
Critical Care Transport
- Specially trained registered nurses, respiratory therapists and
emergency medical technicians make up the crew for each
neonatal/pediatric transport team.
- Teams provide advanced therapies on transport such as
high-frequency ventilation, inhaled nitric oxide, neonatal
whole-body cooling, surfactant administration, helium/oxygen
therapy and effective pain management for patients of all
- Nurses and therapists perform advanced skills such as
intubation, laryngeal mask airway, long nasal CPAP, needle
cricothyrotomy, chest decompression, umbilical line
placement, intraosseous placement, external jugular line placement
and VP shunt management.
- Nurses and therapists have years of experience in pediatric and
neonatal critical care and have received extensive training in
disease and injury pathophysiology and pharmacology.
- Emergency medical technicians receive 400 hours of
training in specialty care and the transport process.
- A 24-hour dispatch center has certified flight communication
specialists which dispatch every mode of transport within minutes
of the transport request and are responsible for ground and flight
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
- A 317-bed
pediatric referral hospital located in Kansas City, Mo.
- A 54-bed pediatric hospital with a 24-hour Emergency
Department in Overland Park, Kan.
- The region's only Level 1 Pediatric Trauma
- Immediate access to more than 400 pediatric specialists
covering more than 40 areas of specialty
- The only acute-care hospital and trauma center in the area
exclusively for children
- Named one the top children's hospitals in America by Child
- 60-bed Intensive Care Nursery with 24-hour in-house
coverage by board certified neonatologists
- 27-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit with 24-hour in-house
coverage by board-certified pediatric intensivists
- The Elizabeth J. Ferrell Fetal Health Center
- First hospital in Missouri and Kansas to receive Magnet
Designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
for superior nursing quality