SCI programs at Children’s Mercy
Inpatient Rehabilitation Program
The inpatient rehabilitation program provides intensives therapy and medical services after an acute spinal cord injury. Our program is individualized to meet each child/adolescent’s and family’s needs with a focus on recovery and overall well-being. The team works with each child and family to develop goals and a comprehensive plan for rehabilitation.
Patients participate in at least three hours of intensive therapies each day, five days per week with an additional half day on Saturdays. Our experienced medical team manages the changes in the body’s function and provides education with a child- and family-centered approach. While admitted, children have access to pediatric medical specialties and diagnostic testing for a thorough assessment and comprehensive care plan.
Your child’s progress will be tracked weekly using the WeeFIM and SCI-M functional measures. These tools help measure improvements and help establish areas for continued focus. Scores are also obtained after discharge to ensure your child continues to progress to his or her full potential.
Our therapists are educated and trained in spinal cord injury and pediatrics. Specialty therapy services may include:
- Functional electrical stimulation bikes
- Heated, zero-entry therapy pool
- Tobii® eye gaze system for environmental access
- Partial body-weight supported treadmill training
- Seating evaluation, including power mobility trials
- Pet therapy
Currently, we are not able to accept children who require mechanical ventilation or do not have some movement at C6-7 (elbow and wrist muscles). If this is the case, we are happy to discuss appropriate referrals and follow your child as an outpatient after his/her acute rehabilitation stay.
Learn more information about the Inpatient Rehabilitation Program at Children's Mercy.
We follow patients with different spinal cord disorders, including spina bifida and spinal cord injury, until the transition to adult care.
- Inpatient Follow-up Clinic: multi-disciplinary clinic involving Rehab Medicine, PT, OT, Speech, Neuropsychology, and Social Work. This clinic is to ensure a smooth transition to outpatient therapies and home as well as to monitor functional progress since discharge.
- Spinal Differences Clinic: multi-disciplinary clinic involving Rehab Medicine, Urology, PT, OT, Nutrition, Social Work, and nursing. This clinic provides continuity with regular evaluation of medical and functional issues until the transition to adult care.
- Physical and Occupational Therapy (including aquatic therapy and functional electrical stimulation)
- Speech-language Pathology
- Other pediatric medical subspecialty clinics, such as Orthopedics and Neurosurgery
For more information, please call us at: (816) 234-3970.