How can I find out how much I might owe?
Our goal is to provide families with not only a list of our charges but also an accurate understanding of their anticipated financial responsibility.
To comply with federal law, Children’s Mercy is providing the current list of our standard charges for all items and services we offer as well as a list of our standard charges for 300 shoppable services we customarily provide. Shoppable services are those that can be scheduled in advance.
If you have insurance, consider calling your insurance company. Because our standard charges do not reflect the actual amount you will owe, we suggest calling your insurance for more information. Here are some questions you can ask your insurance:
- Are you in-network with Children’s Mercy?
- Do I have coverage under my plan for the services my child needs at Children’s Mercy?
- What will my estimated out of pocket responsibility be (this may include deductibles, copays or co-insurance)?
- In order for your insurance to provide you an estimate, you will need to know the CPT or procedure code(s) associated with the care your child will receive. You can obtain this from your child’s doctor or medical clinic.
- You should inform your insurance that Children’s Mercy bills as an outpatient hospital.
- Is a referral or prior authorization required prior to the service?
What if I am unsure how much I may owe after calling my insurance?
Children’s Mercy wants to help! You can call the Financial Clearance team who can provide a price estimate based on your child's scheduled appointment information and insurance plan. You will need to to know the CPT or procedure code(s) associated with the care your child will receive at Children’s Mercy for a price estimate.
*Please note price estimates provided by Children’s Mercy are only estimates. The actual price owed may change based on the patient’s health or other factors which may impact the type, length or intensity of care required.
What if I do not have insurance or I am afraid I will not be able to afford how much the service will be?
We would encourage you to contact the Children’s Mercy Financial Counseling team. They help both the uninsured and underinsured apply for financial resources for families and services that are eligible.
What if I am not eligible for any of the financial resources?
If you do not qualify for any of the financial resources, you may call Customer Service after you receive your bill to set up an interest-free payment plan. Learn more about paying your bill.