Skip to main content

4 ways to keep your Independence Day sparkling and safe!

American flag with sparklers lit

Independence Day often includes sunshine, celebration and sparklers. Unfortunately for some, it could also include an emergency room visit due to a firework injury. In 2020, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) reported 900 emergency room-treated injuries across the nation associated with sparklers alone. You can avoid an emergency trip during your holiday festivities by incorporating these safety precautions.

Follow necessary safety measures:

  • Always view fireworks from a safe distance.
  • Avoid loose-fitting clothing while using fireworks.
  • Never light fireworks near dry grass, brush, leaves or flammable substances.
  • Never light fireworks indoors.
  • Point fireworks away from people, pets and homes.

Sparklers may seem harmless, but can be dangerous:

  • Sparklers can heat up to 1,200 degrees.
  • Small children have little arms that are often too short to hold sparklers at a safe distance.
  • The AAP suggests waving a flag instead of a sparkler for children under the age of 5.

Practice injury prevention:

  • Always have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby.
  • Know how to properly operate a fire extinguisher.
  • Stand several feet away from lit fireworks.
  • If a firework does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate. Pour water on it and dispose of the remains.
  • Consider wearing both eye and hearing protection around fireworks.

Leave fireworks to the pros:

  • Many local communities offer public fireworks displays. Public displays leave the handling and lighting of fireworks to professionals.

With these precautions in mind, you can make the most of your Independence Day and spend time with family and friends instead of spending time in the emergency room.