Diagnosis and treatment — what to expect
We provide team-based care that centers on the best possible outcome for your child. We will work with you to create an integrated and personalized care plan specific to your family's needs.
Depending on your child’s age and condition, we will:
- Carefully examine your child's symptoms and diagnose any related conditions.
- Help your child achieve independence with their fecal and urinary control.
- Provide a second opinion or re-evaluation for children with complex conditions.
- Coordinate complex, multi-system surgery to correct or reconstruct your child’s anorectal, urological and gynecological systems using the least invasive approach, always keeping your child’s future in mind.
- Evaluate internationally adopted children with colorectal or pelvic floor conditions in coordination with Children’s Mercy’s International Adoption Clinic.
Your first visit
Families are usually referred to the center by their primary-care physician or another specialist for their first visit.
You can expect to spend one to two hours at the clinic visiting with your care team.
Before your visit:
- Please send any available tests, results and medical records you may have so we can review them ahead of time.
- We will ask you to fill out some pre-visit online forms to customize your child’s appointment.
- Sometimes additional tests may be ordered to help us determine the best course of treatment for your child.
Follow up care:
You can schedule a follow-up visit directly by calling (816) 234-3441.