Children's Mercy has developed comfort positions to help parents and caregivers minimize children's movement during stressful procedures.
Comfort positions can be used during a number of procedures including IV starts, blood draws, NG placements, and injections. These positions can be adapted for use in a variety of locations: at the hospital, at the doctor's office, the dentist, or other areas where children may need assistance holding still.
Goals of Comfort Positioning
- Successfully immobilizes extremity for procedure
- Offers secure, comforting hugging hold for child
- Comfort through close contact with the parent or caregiver
- Parent or caregiver participates in positive assistance, not negative restraining
- Sitting position promotes sense of control
- Fewer people are needed to complete procedure