Clinical Pathways promote evidence based, safe, and high-value care for patients by providing clinical recommendations and standard processes. They are developed by multidisciplinary committees of subject matter experts, informed by methodical review of available evidence and consensus among committee members.
The Skin and Soft Tissue Infection Synopsis provides a high-level overview of the care standards employed for this Clinical Pathway.
Algorithms associated with this Clinical Pathway:
Inclusion and exclusion criteria
- Patients > 60 days of age with suspected skin and soft tissue infection.
- Less than 60 days of age.
- Suspected sepsis.
- Animal or human bites.
- Surgical site infections.
- Suspected toxin-mediated reaction.
- Immunocompromised, including steroid use >14 days.
- Growth of multi-drug resistant organism in the past.
- Deeper infections (myositis, fasciitis).
- Necrotizing infections.
- SSTI infection of face, tooth, eye, perineum, operative sites.
Committee members and representation involved in the development:
- Megan Hamner, MD | Infectious Diseases | Committee Chair
- Rana El Feghaly, MD, MSCI | Infectious Diseases | Committee Member
- Erin Scott, DO | Emergency Medicine | Committee Member
- Jessica Markham, MD, MSc | Hospital Medicine | Committee Member
- Amanda Nedved, MD | Urgent Care | Committee Member
Patient and Family Representation:
- Angela Knackstedt, BSN, RN, NPD-BC | Equity and Diversity | Committee Member
MIT Committee Members:
- Tracy Taylor | Medical Informatics | Committee Member
- George Abraham, MD | Medical Informatics | Committee Member
- Amber Lanning | Medical Informatics | Committee Member
- Brandan Kennedy, MD | Medical Informatics | Committee Member
EBP Committee Members:
- Katie Berg, MD, FAAP | Evidence Based Practice & Hospital Medicine | Committee member
- Jarrod Dusin, MS, RD, LD, CPHQ | Evidence Based Practice | Committee member
- Finalized date: 5/13/2022
- Next expected revision date: 5/2025
Concerns with content:
If you have any question regarding this content, or identify a broken link, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.