Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) promote evidence based, safe, and high-value care for patients with common clinical conditions when high-quality national or international guidelines are available to inform recommendations. Additional review of scientific literature is often included. A multidisciplinary committee of subject matter experts and key stakeholders systematically reviews the guidelines and any additional literature to develop standard processes and clinical recommendations.
The Asthma Exacerbation Clinical Practice Guidelines Synopsis provides a high level overview of the care standards employed for this CPG.
Algorithms associated with this CPG for viewing on a smartphone or computer:
Asthma Algorithms associated with this CPG for viewing as a PDF:
Inclusion and exclusion criteria
- Patients experiencing asthma exacerbations.
- Sign and symptoms: acute onset of wheezing, coughing, and/or breathlessness with known or suspected asthma.
- Patients less than two years of age.
- Patients with other chronic pulmonary conditions aside from asthma.
- Long-term care of asthma without current exacerbation.
Asthma Exacerbation CPG Committee Members and Representation:
- Jade Tam-Williams, MD | Pulmonology | Committee Chair
- Madison Buchanan, BHS, RRT-NPS | Respiratory Care | Committee Member
- Marc Sycip, MD | Emergency Medicine | Committee Member
- Matthew Johnson, MD | Hospital Medicine | Committee Member
- Nathan Carman, BA RRT-NPS | Respiratory Care | Committee Member
- Claire Seguin, MD | Hospital Medicine Fellow | Committee Member
- Erin Scott, DO | Emergency Medicine | Committee Member
- Aarti Pandya, MD | Allergy & Immunology | Committee Member
- Amanda Nedved, MD | Urgent Care | Committee Member
- Helen Murphy, MHS, HCEd, RRT, AE-C | Respiratory Care | Committee Member
- Caroline Holton, MD | Critical Care Fellow | Committee Member
MIT Committee Members:
- George Abraham, MD | Emergency Medicine, Medical Informatics
- Ashly Catalino | Medical Informatics - Ambulatory
- Tammy Frank, RPh, CPHIMS | Medical Informatics - Pharmacy
- Brandan Kennedy, MD | Hospital Medicine, Human Factors Collaborative, Medical Informatics
- Amber Lanning | Medical Informatics – general inpatient
- Ryan McDonough, DO | Endocrinology, Medical Informatics
- Tracy Taylor | Medical Informatics – ED, UCC
- Finalized date: 7/06/2022
- Next expected revision date:
Concerns with content
If you have any question regarding this content, or identify a broken link, please email email@example.com.