Clinical Pathways promote evidence based, safe, and high-value care for patients by providing clinical recommendations and standard processes. They are developed by multidisciplinary committees of subject matter experts, informed by methodical review of available evidence and consensus among committee members.
The Asthma Exacerbation Clinical Practice Guidelines Synopsis provides a high level overview of the care standards employed for this Clinical Pathway.
Asthma Algorithms associated with this Clinical Pathway:
Inclusion and exclusion criteria
- Patients experiencing asthma exacerbations.
- Sign and symptoms: acute onset of wheezing, coughing, and/or breathlessness with known or suspected asthma.
- Patients less than two years of age.
- Patients with other chronic pulmonary conditions aside from asthma.
- Long-term care of asthma without current exacerbation.
Asthma Exacerbation Clinical Pathway Committee Members and Representation:
- Jade Tam-Williams, MD | Pulmonology | Committee Chair
- Madison Buchanan, BHS, RRT-NPS | Respiratory Care | Committee Member
- Marc Sycip, MD | Emergency Medicine | Committee Member
- Matthew Johnson, MD | Hospital Medicine | Committee Member
- Nathan Carman, BA RRT-NPS | Respiratory Care | Committee Member
- Claire Seguin, MD | Hospital Medicine Fellow | Committee Member
- Erin Scott, DO | Emergency Medicine | Committee Member
- Aarti Pandya, MD | Allergy & Immunology | Committee Member
- Amanda Nedved, MD | Urgent Care | Committee Member
- Helen Murphy, MHS, HCEd, RRT, AE-C | Respiratory Care | Committee Member
- Caroline Holton, MD | Critical Care Fellow | Committee Member
MIT Committee Members:
- George Abraham, MD | Emergency Medicine, Medical Informatics
- Ashly Catalino | Medical Informatics - Ambulatory
- Tammy Frank, RPh, CPHIMS | Medical Informatics - Pharmacy
- Brandan Kennedy, MD | Hospital Medicine, Human Factors Collaborative, Medical Informatics
- Amber Lanning | Medical Informatics – general inpatient
- Ryan McDonough, DO | Endocrinology, Medical Informatics
- Tracy Taylor | Medical Informatics – ED, UCC
- Finalized date: 7/2022
- Next expected revision date: 7/2025
Concerns with content:
If you have any question regarding this content, or identify a broken link, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.