The Comprehensive Pain Management Program at Children’s Mercy comprises a variety of caring clinicians, researchers, educators and other healthcare professionals that share a biopsychosocial perspective and treatment approach to helping children in pain. Our mission is to provide services that promote and support optimal comfort, health, function and quality of life to everyone we serve.
The following are key pieces of our Comprehensive Pain Management Program. Follow these links to learn more about these clinical areas:
- Our Abdominal Pain Program is a unique clinical and research program that evaluates and treats children and adolescents with chronic abdominal pain.
- The Amplified Pain Clinic offers treatment for amplified musculoskeletal pain syndromes including intense exercise, desensitization therapy and stress management.
- Complex Pain Management offers treatment for chronic/complex painful conditions, including pain related to chronic medical conditions, persistent limb and back pain, widespread pain, headache, and abdominal pain. Inpatient services available.
- The Comprehensive Headache Clinic provides care for headache patients with moderate to severe functional disability or refractory headaches that have not responded to initial medical treatments.
Inpatient Consultative Services and Rehabilitation Program
- Our Anesthesiology Pain Service provides expertise in pain management therapies in the acute peri-operative setting, including but not limited to Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA), epidurals and nerve blocks.
- The Palliative Care Team provides support for patients with life limiting or threatening conditions, or at the end of life, to optimize comfort and quality of life. Outpatient services available.
- The Rehabilitation for Amplified Pain Syndrome (RAPS) Program offers treatment in our intensive three week day hospital rehabilitation program for amplified musculoskeletal pain syndromes resulting in severe pain and disability.
The Comprehensive Pain Management Program is inclusive of all Children’s Mercy entities that share an essential goal of providing safe, timely, effective, efficient, equitable & patient-centered pain care, or use sophisticated technology (e.g. PCA) to treat pain, including our Divisions of Critical Care and Hematology/Oncology. Additionally, we work closely with Clinical Pharmacology, Gastroenterology, Interventional Radiology, Neurology, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Rheumatology and Social Work.