Rhyming to Reading
A Phonological Awareness and Early Literacy Program
According to the International Dyslexia Association, 15-20% of the population has a language-based learning disability. Of the children with specific learning disabilities receiving special education services, 70-80% have deficits in reading. Dyslexia is the most common cause of reading, writing and spelling difficulties.
Children’s Mercy Hospital pediatric speech-pathologists developed Rhyming to Reading, a phonological awareness and early literacy program. This research and evidence based program helps young children struggling to learn early literacy concepts, as well as children who are typically developing, establish a strong foundation for future reading success. Rhyming to Reading uses a multisensory structured teaching approach and includes activities to teach phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Activities include games, songs, and books to engage children in the learning process.
More than 2000 children have participated in this program and have shown significant progress.
For Families: Rhyming to Reading Classes at Children's Mercy
Classes are for children:
- 4-6 years old
- who may or may not have speech/language/learning difficulties
- who have not yet entered kindergarten
- who are able to work with other children in a small group
Children participate in:
- Pre- and post-test
- Small group classes once a week for one hour
- Level I: nine weeks
- Level II: six weeks
- Play-based multisensory learning activities
- Teaching of early literacy skills that encourage development
- Research-based teaching methods
- Instruction by pediatric speech-language pathologists
- Parent observation and education
For Educators: Rhyming to Reading DVD Curriculum for Purchase
The DVD includes:
- Two levels of programming including 15 easy to follow lesson plans
- Over 80 instructional videos which demonstrate multisensory teaching techniques to enhance literacy learning
- Full color printable materials including rule cards, letter cards, game materials, lesson plans, and parent newsletters
- Pre- and post-tests to determine the child's baseline skills and to track progress
- System requirements:
- PC: DVD player and Windows XP or higher
- Mac: DVD player and OSX or higher
Evidence Based Program Effectiveness
An IRB approved retrospective research study of 342 subjects was conducted. Results indicated statistically significant outcomes that Rhyming to Reading is effective in teaching phonological awareness and phonics skills to:
- young children, yielding an average 30% gain in improvement in pre and post test scores
- children with and without history of speech, language, learning difficulties
- children 4-6 years old
Rhyming and Reading is effective in teaching all targeted phonological awareness skills as identified by the National Reading Panel and the International Dyslexia Association through the five key components of reading including phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Order the program
To order the Rhyming to Reading™ DVD, please email us or mail the order form (pdf).
Or, learn more about Rhyming to Reading classes offered in the Hearing and Speech clinic.