The Ward Family Heart Center at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics is one of the higher-volume pediatric heart centers in the country. Patients benefit from the expertise of board-certified cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons, cutting-edge operating suites, bio-engineering laboratories and hybrid-capable cardiac catheterization laboratories.
Heart Center Programs
U.S. News and World Report named the Ward Family Heart Center one of the top pediatric cardiology and heart surgery programs in the nation. With an emphasis on clinical innovation and patient-centered care, our Heart Center is redefining pediatric medicine regionally, nationally and across the globe.
- Our patented HeartCenter software and our repository of DNA and tissue samples give us access to data on more than 39,000 patients, 3.2 million lab results and 5,000 surgeries.
- We're performing groundbreaking research on the cardiovascular effects of obesity and high cholesterol in children.
- Each year, we perform more than 450 cardiac surgical procedures, provide more than 11,000 outpatient visits and perform catheterization and electrophysiology procedures on nearly 700 patients.
- Our digitally enhanced 3D reconstructions of cardiac and vascular anomalies give us a whole new way to look at heart surgeries for patients with congenital heart defects.
- We're at the forefront of cell and tissue engineering research that will enable physicians to construct living replacement heart tissue.
Cardiology Cardiovascular Surgery