Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship
The Ward Family Center at Children’s Mercy Kansas City is a high-volume center offering the region's most comprehensive care from birth to young adulthood for patients with congenital and acquired heart disease. Our center offers outstanding clinical facilities and research training opportunities. The team includes:
- 28 board-certified pediatric cardiologists
- 3 congenital cardiothoracic surgeons and a congenital cardiac surgery fellow
- 31 advanced practice nurses
- Exercise laboratory with 2 doctoral and 1 masters level exercise physiologists
- Thrive program offering multidisciplinary psychosocial support from social work, psychology, child life, music therapy, financial counseling, chaplaincy, and palliative care
- Dedicated cardiac nutrition support
The Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship program is a three-year training experience dedicated to promoting the fellows' expertise through outstanding clinical, academic, investigative and administrative instruction. Our faculty and staff are dedicated to ensuring fellows receive the highest-quality training as they prepare for a successful clinical practice. Our fellowship ensures:
- Fellows will develop clinical knowledge of normal and abnormal cardiovascular conditions.
- Dedicated research objectives will teach fellows the methodology for meaningful scientific investigation.
- Fellows will become proficient in invasive and noninvasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- The program provides vast opportunities to learn optimal clinical care and consultation for pediatric patients with cardiovascular disease.
Salaries and benefits
- PGY 4: $73,104.03
- PGY 5: $74,983.71
- PGY 6: $77,302.28
- PGY 7: $79,636.38
- PGY 8: $83,262.40
- PGY 9: $85,342.40
- PGY 10: $87,049.25
Benefits for fellows
- $1,500 Educational stipend per academic year for books, travel and other educational materials
- $2,250 Professional stipend for academic year to present scholarly activity
- Health and dental insurance for trainee and dependents with no premiums
- Hospital-issued iPad
- Free parking
- Moving allowance
- 20 days of vacation
- Paid sick time
- Paid board exam
- Access to clinical and research librarians, statisticians, scientific writers and learning specialists
- Tuition allowance of $5,250 per year
- On-site fitness center and wellness center
Learn more about the curriculum, including didactics, courses and workshops.
Faculty and fellows
Meet the team of fellows and faculty for the Pediatric Cardiology fellowship.
Learn more about the research opportunities and focuses offered during this fellowship.
Apply for the program
Prospective candidates should apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The program participates in the National Residency Matching Program. Learn more about how to apply.
Our Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship team
Ryan A. Romans, MD
Nancy Draffen-Brown, MBA