Pediatric Resident Research Committee
The Pediatric Residency Program at Children’s Mercy is committed to providing research opportunities and mentorship support for research to pediatric residents. The Resident Research Committee functions as an oversight committee for resident research with the goal to match interested residents with research mentors.
Additionally, the committee provides education for residents interested in research and works with the Children’s Mercy Research Institute to collaborate on resources to maximize research success.
Michael Nyp, DO, Chair
Neonatologist; Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
James Anderst, MD
Division Director, Section on Child Abuse and Neglect; Professor of Pediatrics, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
Ryan Fischer, MD
Pediatric Transplant Hepatologist; Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
Matthew Johnson, MD
Director of Quality and Safety, Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine; Pediatric Hospitalist; Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
Emily Killough, MD
Associate Program Director, Pediatric Residency Program
Vision, Mission, and Values
Vision: To improve the quality and availability of resident research
Mission: Any resident in good standing the GME should be given the opportunity to pursue a research project
Core Values: Goal-oriented, Research-focused, Accountable
Resident Scholarly Work
- Cecil C. – Poster: Improving Nutrition Initiation and Delivery in Severely Burned Pediatric Patients through Protocol Implementation.” Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, May 2018.
- Donato J. – Poster: Incomplete vs. Complete Testing for HSV in Febrile Neonates. Children’s Mercy Research Days. May 2018.
- Kesh S. – Poster: Association of Quinoa and Apple Sensitization. American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, Orlando, FL, March 2018.
- Lieberman R. – Poster: Provider confidence in screening for food insecurity and provision of resources to families in need. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Toronton, Ontario, May 2018.
- Martin K. – Presentation: Adverse Childhood Experiences among Immigrants and their Children. Children’s Mercy Research Days. May 2018.
- McBride K. – Presentation: Needs Assessment for Resident Education Within the Collaboration for Vaccine Education and Research (CoVER) Poster presented at: Infectious Diseases Society of America, San Diego, CA. Oct. 2017.
- McBride K. and Pahud B - Book Chapter: The Anti-Vaccine Movement in Magill’s Medical Guide, 8th Edition. Salem Press. Jan. 2018.
McElfish PA, Chughtai A, Low LK, Garner R. - Publication: Purvis R.S. Just doing the best we can: health care providers’ perceptions of barriers to providing care to Marshallese patients in Arkansas. Ethn Health. 2018 May 4:1-14.
- Odum J. – Presentation: Surveillance Kidney Transplant Biopsies: Do the Ends Justify the Means? Children’s Mercy Research Days. May 2018 and Salmonella isn’t hip: Osteomyelitis in a healthy adolescent female. Pediatric Hospital Medicine. Nashville, Tennessee. July 2017.
- Otto W. – Presentation: Impact of Respiratory Viral Infection in Febrile Neutropenia in Children with Cancer. Children’s Mercy Research Days. May 2018.
- Otto W., Myers AL, Jackson MA – Poster: Progressive Disseminated Histoplasmosis in an Immunocompetent Infant. Academic Pediatric Association District VI. Omaha, NE, Sept. 2017.
- Spear C. – Presentation: OWL Team Simulation. Children’s Mercy Research Days. May 2018 and The Impact of a Global Health Education & Experience on Lifelong Career Plans, Children’s Mercy Hospital Global Health Grand
Rounds June 2018.
- Tucker MH, Holmes J, Harley S, Garcia MR, and Custodio H. - Publication: Case 1: Fever and Ataxia in a Toddler with Pica. Pediatr Rev. 2017 Sep;38(9):435-436.Van Mason JS, Van Mason A, TaylorJB, Estrellado-Cruz W – Poster: The Moldy Birds: An Adolescent with Progressive Dyspnea. American Thoracic Society, San Diego, CA, May 2018.
- Van Mason JS Taylor JB, Dai H, Barnes, CS – Poster: Income Level as a Predictor of Indoor Mouse Allergen Levels in Inner-City Homes of Kansas City. American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology/World Allergy Organization Joint Congress Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, March 2018.
- Zamananuk R. – Presentation: The Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury During Pediatric Cardiac Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support as defined by the Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) guidelines. Children’s Mercy Research Days. May 2018.
- Zanaboni C. – Poster: Healthcare System Utilization by Adolescents In the Year Preceding Emergency Care for Suicidality Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, May 2018.
- Avila J & Uhlenhake M – Poster: An assessment of patient nonuse of TMC’s online patient portal within the Red Clinic. UMKC Quality & Patient Safety Day, May 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Casini R, Cho M, Fioravanti V, Singh V &Shakhnovich V – Poster: Prevalence of duodenal pathology in pediatric Crohn's disease. World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition, October 2016, Montreal, Canada
- Cho M – Presentation: Global Health. Global Health Grand Rounds, June 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Norton LE, Curtis SN, Goldman JL. – Publication: A 9-Year-Old Boy With a Chest Mass and Eosinophilia The Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society. 2016 Dec;5(4):476-479.
- Doran K – Poster: Improving timing of normal saline bolus delivery in hospitalized patients. American Academy of Pediatrics, October, 2016, San Francisco, Cal.
- Gonzales D, Reed D, Pfeifer D, Bellinghausen A, Park N & Brunkhorst J – Research: Retrospective chart review on patients who had a code event or rapid response to determine identifiable prognostic factors
- Halma J – Poster: Neonatal edema and the genetic diagnosis of dehydrated hereditary stomatocytosis. North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, October 2016, Montreal, Canada. Hickey C – Poster: Swaziland: A Journey into Culture and Health. Global Health Grand Rounds, June 2017, Kansas City, Mo. Herigon J, Lee B, Karisma P, Newland J, Goldman J – Poster: Characteristics of primary medical team disagreements with antimicrobial stewardship interventions. Infectious Diseases Society of America, October 2016, New Orleans, LA*
- Horwitz M – Poster: The Month at the Lake Clinic. Global Health Grand Rounds, June 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Katz N, Eyeman A, Bruce B, Fullekamp L, Williamson A, Sullivan L, Ellerbeck E & Kreisler K – Poster: HELP KIDS screening tool to identify child and family socioeconomica needs in primary care. AAP National Conference October 2016, San Francisco, Cal.
- Lieberman R – Poster: Profiling food insecurity at a pediatric health clinic: a case of unmet needs. Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, May 2017, San Francisco, Cal. Lieberman R – Presentation: Pediatric bordetella parapertussis in the emergence of acellular pertussis vaccine. CMH Research Days, May 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Lund R – Poster: A Month in Manila. Global Health Grand Rounds, June 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Northup R – Poster: South Africa: Combating the rise of HIV in adolescents. Global Health Grand Rounds, June 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Otto W, Myers A & Jackson M – Poster: Clinical markers of HSV DNA persistence in CSF in neonatal disseminated and central nervous system HSV infection. IDSA, October 2016, New Orleans, LA.
- Otto W, Myers A & Jackson M – Poster: Clinical markers of HSV DNA persistence in CSF in neonatal disseminated and central nervous system HSV infection. MWSPR, September 2016, Chicago, Ill. *;
- Otto W, Myers A, LaRussa B, Kimberlin D, Jackson M – Publication: Clinical Markers and Outcomes of Neonates With Herpes Simplex Virus Deoxyribonucleic Acid Persistence in Cerebrospinal Fluid in Disseminated and Central Nervous System Infection. The Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society. 2017 May. doi: 10.1093/jpids/pix033
- Patel A – Poster: Global Health Experience in Swaziland. Global Health Grand Rounds. June 2017 Kansas City, Mo.
- Patel A – Presentation: Global Health at Children’s Mercy Hospital. Association of Pediatric Program Directors, April 2017, Anaheim, Cal.
- Wagner J & Runkel B – Research: Frequency of polymorphisms in statin disposition and response among children and adolescents.
- Schmidt A – Poster: Sanibonani! A Global Health View of the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in Swaziland. Global Health Grand Rounds. June 2017 Kansas City, Mo.
- Skoglund D & Simpson E – Poster: Meconium and Urine Drug Screens: Who Needs Them? Pediatric Academic Societies, May 2017, San Francisco, Cal.
- Spear C, Heller K & Etzenhouser A – Research: Owl Team Simulation.
- Spectorsky K – Presentation: She fell from a mango tree: A global health experience in Laos. Global Health Grand Rounds. June 2017 Kansas City, Mo.
- Spectorsky K &Watts J. – Poster: Characterization of online resources for global health self-education at home. American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Conference; San Francisco, CA. October 2016.
- Srinivas S, Horwitz M, Arora S, Durden J, Lester J & Gardner S – Poster: Improving clinic continuity in resident run internal medicine and pediatrics primary care clinic. UMKC Quality & Patient Safety Day, May 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Tucker M, Park, N & Voos K – Poster: Combining proven and new approaches for safe sleep in a neonatal intensive care unit. Midwest Society for Pediatric Research, September 2016, Chicago Ill. and Pediatric Academic Societies, May 2017, San Francisco, Cal. *
- Van Mason J & Taylor J – Presentation: Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. Mississippi River Valley Pediatric Pulmonary Case Conference. March 2017, Kansas City, Mo.
- Wiebelhaus J, Miller M, Jackson J, Sherman A, Pickett M Randell K – Poster: Adolescent and parent perspectives on confidentiality after adolescent relationship abuse disclosure. Pediatric Academic Societies, May 2017, San Francisco, Cal.
* Research was also selected for an oral presentation at Research Days 2017