Clinical Pathways promote evidence based, safe, and high-value care for patients by providing clinical recommendations and standard processes. They are developed by multidisciplinary committees of subject matter experts, informed by methodical review of available evidence and consensus among committee members.
The Emergency Contraception Synopsis provides a high-level overview of the care standards employed for this Clinical Pathway.
Algorithms associated with this Clinical Pathway:
Additional tools associated with this Clinical Pathway:
Inclusion and exclusion criteria for this Clinical Pathway:
- Adolescents at risk for unintended pregnancy
- If > 120 hours (5 days) since unprotected sexual intercourse, inadequately protected sexual intercourse, or sexual assault.
Committee members and reviewers involved in the development:
- Abbey Masonbrink, MD, MPH | Hospital Medicine | Committee Chair
- Lisa Post-Jones, MSN, RN, CPN, SANE-P | SANE Program | Reviewer
- Jeanette Higgins, RN, MSN, CPNP | Gynecology | Reviewer
- Diane Petrie, FNP-BC, AAHIVS, CPN | Infectious Diseases | Reviewer
- Amanda Nedved, MD | Urgent Care | Reviewer
- Gladesia Tolbert, DNP, CPNP, PMHS | General Academic Pediatrics/Primary Care Clinic | Reviewer
- Alaina Burns, Pharm.D., BCPPS | Pharmacy | Reviewer
- Melissa Smith, APRN | Emergency Department | Reviewer
- Katie Stangler, RN, MSN, APRN, CPNP, CCRN | Emergency Department | Reviewer
- Andrea Nos, MD | Adolescent Medicine| Reviewer
- Jennifer Hansen, MD | SANE Program| Reviewer
- Rachel Neihart, LCSW, LSCSW | Inpatient Care Management| Reviewer
EBP Committee Members:
- Kathleen Berg, MD, FAAP | Hospitalist, Evidence Based Practice
- Andrea Melanson, OTD, OTR/L | Evidence Based Practice
- Kelli Ott, OTD, OTR/L | Evidence Based Practice
- Finalized date: 01/2023
- Next expected revision date: 01/2026
Concerns with content:
If you have any questions regarding this content or identify a broken link, please email email@example.com.