The Pediatric Epilepsy Fellowship at Children's Mercy Kansas City aims to provide the fellow with the educational, clinical and research experience he/she needs to deliver the highest quality of care to epilepsy patients.
Children's Mercy features a Level 4 comprehensive epilepsy center serving the Midwest area. It is a tertiary referral center for management of intractable epilepsy and surgical evaluation.
Ahmed Abdelmoity, MD is the Director of the Neurology and Epilepsy Divisions. Mohammed Ilyas, MD and Kailash Pawar, MD are the Epilepsy Fellowship Program Directors. Some of the highlights of the Epilepsy Program are:
- 8 Board-certified pediatric epileptologists, 5 partnered adult epileptologists at KUMC, 3 pediatric neurosurgery faculty and two epilepsy neuropsychologists
- 8-room Epilepsy Monitoring Unit in Kansas with over 1,000 studies yearly
- 4-room Epilepsy Monitoring Unit in Missouri with over 500 studies yearly (starting in 2022)
- Over 3,000 routine EEGs yearly
- One of the largest ketogenic diet programs with more than 250 children actively taking the diet
- One of the largest neuromodulation programs with over 70-80 implantations yearly
- Large epilepsy surgery program with a wide variety of surgery types, from lesional, non-lesional, one stage, two stages, stereotactic EEG, hemispherotomy, etc., with over 30 cases yearly.
- LASER ablation program
- Epilepsy clinic with over 5000 patients yearly
- Intraoperative monitoring program with over 25 monitored cases per month
Your clinical experience
More about your clinical experience and rotations
The Epilepsy Fellowship at Children's Mercy is an ACGME-accredited one-year exclusive pediatric epilepsy program that focuses on developing the skills of interpreting electroencephalogram (EEG), and evaluation/treatment of epilepsy across the pediatric spectrum including children requiring epilepsy surgery, VNS implantation, and ketogenic diet therapy.