Fellows will have the opportunity to participate in ongoing departmental research. Current projects include but are not limited to:
- Developing, instituting, and collecting data for Enhanced Recovery after Surgery protocols.
- Investigation of low-flow anesthesia and impact on hospital costs and the environment.
- Pain management after supracondylar fracture.
- ESP blocks for coarctation repairs through thoracotomy.
In addition, fellows participate in the Improvement Academy. It is a participative learning experience designed to allow participants to practice an A3 mindset for problem solving. It is a framework that will be used throughout fellows’ careers to continuously improve the quality of patient care and productivity of work environment and clinical teams.
Lectures and conferences include:
- Fellow lecture series.
- Comprehensive content covers pediatric anesthesia topics including all subspecialties.
- Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) conference.
- Department journal club.
- PICU research conference during ICU rotation.
- CMH Fellow’s Improvement Academy CPQI course.
- Focus on patient safety and improving patient care.
- Participative and project-oriented learning experience.
- CMH Fellow’s Common Curriculum.
- Multidisciplinary simulation experience.
- Fellow simulation boot camp in the first few months of academic year.
- Opportunities to participate in perioperative simulations with anesthesia, nursing, and surgery.