Our fellows participate in a number of educational opportunities within the Section of Nephrology, as well as within the Department of Pediatrics at Children's Mercy.
Common Curriculum Conference
Under the guidance of a faculty mentor, a second- or third-year resident prepares and presents a case followed by a review of the disease process and relevant literature
The format is interactive with faculty, residents and medical students participating in the development of the differential diagnosis and the evaluation of the patient
Noon Academic Scholarship Conference
Morbidity and Mortality Conference
Section of Nephrology
Nephrology Multi-disciplinary Rounds
- Weekly; multidisciplinary review of current renal service and consults; attended by faculty, fellows, residents, nurse practitioners and support staff.
- Monthly; formal curriculum by faculty based on ABP content specifications but also include fellow involvement with creating boards-style question and answer for discussion
- Monthly; interactive discussion of interesting surgical/radiology cases; attended by nephrology and urology faculty, fellows, residents and medical students.
- Monthly; fellows are supervised by faculty member in conducting a critique of original research; attended by faculty, fellows, nurse practitioners, and support staff.
- Monthly; provides a review of light, immunofluorescence and electron microscopic findings of kidney biopsies with a renal pathologist; attended by faculty, fellows and renal pathologist pathologist.
Clinical Case Conference
- Monthly; interactive review of interesting or complex cases requiring discussion presented by nephrology faculty, nurse practitioners, and fellows.
Nephrology Grand Rounds Series
- Bi-monthly; includes invited speakers and internal faculty discussing a topic of interest to the entire nephrology section.
- Semi-monthly; attended by the multidisciplinary dialysis team members to review monthly patient laboratory, medical and psychosocial information.
- Bi-monthly; informal discussion of faculty and fellow research in progress.
Sample calendar of a month (pdf)