Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship
Since 2014, the Children’s Mercy Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship Program has trained academic pediatric hospitalists to become leaders in research, quality improvement, medical education, child advocacy, and hospital administration. Our fellows build their clinical expertise in treating hospitalized pediatric patients by caring for a diverse and complex patient population.
The Pediatric Hospital Medicine Division at Children’s Mercy is one of the oldest and largest in the nation with approximately 40 hospitalists; members of the division serve as institutional and national leaders in research, quality, education, advocacy, and administration. As one of the only free-standing children’s hospitals in the Midwest, Children’s Mercy Hospital provides comprehensive inpatient pediatric care at both our Adele Hall campus in downtown Kansas City and at our Kansas campus in Overland Park, Kansas.
Highlights of our Fellowship include:
- Our fellowship is accredited through the Accreditation Council for Graduation Medical Education.
- All fellowship graduates have passed the Pediatric Hospital Medicine board certification exam.
- Our program is one of the only 3-year PHM fellowships in the country, which allows our fellows time to pursue scholarly interests and a variety of clinical opportunities.
- Fellows have an opportunity to pursue a variety of Masters level training options.
- All fellows complete a scholarly project resulting in a peer reviewed publication and national presentation.
- In 2019, our fellowship expanded to accommodate 2 fellows per year.
Fellows and faculty are supported by 40 pediatric specialties as well as dedicated inpatient social workers, team coordinators, nutritionists, pharmacists, and child life therapists.
Salaries and benefits
- PGY 4: $73,104.03
- PGY 5: $74,983.71
- PGY 6: $77,302.28
- PGY 7: $79,636.38
- PGY 8: $83,262.40
- PGY 9: $85,342.40
- PGY 10: $87,049.25
Benefits for fellows
- $1,500 Educational stipend per academic year for books, travel and other educational materials
- $2,250 Professional stipend for academic year to present scholarly activity
- Health and dental insurance for trainee and dependents with no premiums
- Hospital-issued iPad
- Free parking
- Moving allowance
- 20 days of vacation
- Paid sick time
- Paid board exam
- Access to clinical and research librarians, statisticians, scientific writers and learning specialists
- Tuition allowance of $5,250 per year
- On-site fitness center and wellness center
Learn more about the curriculum, including didactics, courses and workshops.
Learn about the quality and extent of hands-on experience offered through the Pediatric Hospital Medicine fellowship.
Faculty and fellows
Meet the team of fellows and faculty for the Pediatric Hospital Medicine fellowship.
Learn about the research opportunities and focuses offered during this fellowship.
Apply for the program
The Children's Mercy Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship Program participates in the National Residency Matching Program. Learn more about the application process.
Special opportunities at Children's Mercy
For those interested in clinical pharmacology, global health and health care administration, learn more about our special opportunities.
Our Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowship leadership team
Jacqueline M. Walker, MD, MHPE, FAAP
Michael G. Platt, MD
Associate Program Director
Toni Zaner, BA