Summer 2017 Student Volunteer Program Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children's Mercy! Our student volunteer roles are highly competitive.
Registration for the 2017 Summer Volunteer Session running June 5, 2017-August 13, 2017 is currently CLOSED as we have reached our maximum registration capacity.
If you are interested in future volunteer sessions, such as the school year session, please check the website for future updates. Registration for the next school year session (August 21, 2017-May 20, 2017) will open the first week of July, 2017.
Please note all communication will be sent to you via email. Please use a valid email address that you check often, and make sure to add email@example.com as a safe sender so the communication you receive does not go to your junk box/spam folder.
- Students must be 15 years old by June 5, 2017 to qualify
- Submit completed health form, application, submit hirevue online interview
- 30 hour commitment (must complete to be considered for another session)
Important Dates to Remember:
- Friday, February 3, 2017 – deadline to submit required completed health form, application, and online interview.
- Saturday, May 20, 2017 or Monday, 22, 2017 – dates we orient new students (required to attend only one)
- Monday, June 5, 2017 thru Sunday, August 13, 2017 – dates students must volunteer during the summer session
Get Experience and Give Back
Our college student volunteers are integral to our work serving the families at Children’s Mercy and each role is equally important in our mission to transform the lives of children in our care.
By volunteering at Children’s Mercy, you’re stepping up to support thousands of kids facing illness or injury and their families — and that’s a big deal.
While you won’t be able to shadow the medical staff or watch procedures, you will be an important supporting member of the team, providing comfort and creating the best experience possible for families visiting Children’s Mercy.
We couldn’t provide the care we do without volunteers like you.
Explore Volunteer Opportunities for College Students
Every volunteer has the opportunity to provide comfort to patients, families and visitors, ensuring each and every person who walks through our doors has a positive experience while at Children’s Mercy.
Guest Services & Hospitality Roles
Help make every visitor feel welcome and ensure they have the most comfortable visit possible from the moment they walk in the door and throughout their stay.
Do fun activities with patients and their families to help pass time in the waiting room area.
Provide much needed support to the parents and patients spending time at Children’s Mercy through daytime and evening activities that help promote a positive experience during a difficult time.
College Student Volunteer Requirements
Please read the following requirements carefully and ensure you meet all of them before submitting your application. This process is in place to provide a safe, positive experience for our patients and their families, and for you as a volunteer.
- Age: You are at least 18 years old and enrolled in college courses.
- Time Commitment: You can work a three-hour shift in a specific role each week. For summer sessions, volunteers are asked to commit to 30 hours of service. During school sessions, volunteers are asked to commit to 100 hours of service.
- Health & Background Clearance: The health and safety of our patients and their families is paramount, so you’ll be required to pass a background check and complete a health form.
- Performance Standards: You are prepared to abide by all of our hospital’s policies including all patient confidentiality rules and customer service expectations.
How to Become a Volunteer
When you’re ready to join our team of dedicated college student volunteers, here are the steps you’ll take:
Fill Out an Application
You’ll provide basic contact information and tell us why you’re interested in becoming a hospital volunteer during your college career!
Send in Your Health Form
A health form that details your immunization records will need to be completed by your healthcare provider and submitted to Volunteer Services.
Attend an Online Info Session & Interview
Learn about volunteering at Children’s Mercy and explore which role would be best suited for you.
Get Your Background Check
The final step is to make sure your background check is clear.
Have Questions About Being a Volunteer While in College?
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about becoming a volunteer at Children’s Mercy.