Social Work Students
The Social Work Department at Children’s Mercy has a long history of supporting social work education and is committed to providing quality field instruction for Masters of Social Work (MSW) advanced-level clinical and administrative students. Student practicum experiences are available in a variety of inpatient, outpatient and community settings. Student practicums are offered to students attending colleges and universities in which current education agreements/contracts are established with Children’s Mercy Kansas City. We are not able to accept students with other degree concentrations.
MSW students in clinical practice will have the following learning opportunities:
- Conducting biopsychosocial assessments with patient and families focusing on strengths based theory and identifying the social determinants of health.
- Identifying, interviewing, assessing and documenting patient contacts.
- Facilitating resource acquisition for families thus reducing barrier and access to healthcare.
- Participating in multidisciplinary teams including case conferences, medical rounds and specialty meetings both within the hospital and the community.
- Counseling opportunities including crisis intervention, trauma-focused care, grief counseling and short-term counseling related to patient and family needs as they adjust to illness.
- Assisting with screening for mental health needs and responding to positive screens for depression and suicide.
The department provides opportunities for medical students from the University of Health Sciences to observe social work staff as part of a multidisciplinary medical team. Students are placed with social workers in a variety of inpatient, outpatient, and community-based settings. If you are interested in learning more about student opportunities or shadowing experiences in the Social Work Department, please contact Sabra Boyd, LCSW, LSCSW at (816) 983-6535.