The Department of Social Work is
committed to providing quality field instruction for Masters of
Social Work (MSW) advanced-level clinical and administrative
Student practicum experiences are available in a variety of
inpatient, outpatient and community settings.
We are not able to accept students with other degree
concentrations or those wanting only a short-term shadowing
MSW students in clinical practice will have the following
- Identifying, interviewing, assessing and documenting patient
- Participating in multidisciplinary teams including case
conferences, medical rounds and specialty meetings both within the
hospital and in the community.
- Identifying and expanding the knowledge base of community
resources and linking families to community resources.
- Counseling opportunities including crisis intervention,
trauma-focused care, grief counseling and short-term
counseling related to patient and family needs as they adjust
- Administrative activities including participating in department
committees; attending educational offerings; participating in
Social Work Month activities; research; program and
professional development; and other special projects.
MSW students in social work administration will have the
following learning opportunities as they assist administrative
staff in the following areas:
- Reviewing social work programming.
- Developing proposals to address social work need areas.
- Supervising and reviewing staff.
- Addressing and reporting on quality improvement
- Interacting with a variety of healthcare professionals in a
Currently, the Department of Social Work accepts applications from students enrolled at
universities with whom we have executed collaborative agreements to
provide field instruction.
The department provides opportunities for medical students
from the University of Health Sciences to observe social work staff
as part of a multidisciplinary medical team. Students are
placed with social workers in a variety of inpatient, outpatient,
and community-based settings.
If you are interested in learning more about student opportunities
in the Department of Social Work,
please contact Sabra Boyd, LSCSW at (816) 983-6535. Please be aware
that official practicum interviews in the department can only be
conducted after the student receives approval from his/her