Offering Parent Support (POPS) program is a network of parent volunteers who
mentor other parents through the challenges of their child's health condition. POPS
offers guidance and encouragement by connecting parents with compassionate
mentors who have been through the same experiences with their own children.
Examples of Mentorship
- Coping with the emotional challenges of a new diagnosis
- Building your child's health care needs into the daily
- Advice on transitioning back to school
- Maintaining energy while meeting complex demands
- Meeting long-term care needs such as chronic conditions or
- Sharing unique perspectives such as being a single parent
or having limited access to resources
- Getting regular, positive encouragement to overcome
Methods of Contact
Parents and mentors can connect through methods that are
comfortable for both parties. Interaction may take place through phone
conversations, email, social media or text messaging. Meeting with a mentor in
person is optional but not required.
How to Apply
Parents interested in peer support can apply using the form
below. Children's Mercy Kansas City will match parents with suitable
mentors who have completed the required training.
Parent Application (pdf)
Mentor Application (pdf)