The Center for Environmental Health at Children's Mercy would like to partner with you to help manage
your patients' care by providing environmental health
education, resources, and environmental health assessments
through our Healthy Home Program. We can also provide your
staff educational opportunities regarding the latest research and
best practices about effective asthma management, environmental
hazards, health-related housing issues and more.
Once your patient is enrolled in the Healthy Home Program, we
will provide you with a copy of the plan of action that we have
developed for the family and update you on their progress. We want
to work with you as a team to help encourage the family to make
positive environmental changes. Depending on the extent of the
environmental health issues and the patient's health, the family
can be enrolled in the Healthy Home Program for up to six months to
provide support and monitor their progress. Watch a short video about our Healthy Home Program.
The Healthy Home Program can provide the following:
- Targeted indoor environmental health education to help address
home health concerns.
- Phone consultations from one of our specialists to discuss
environmental health, asthma, and other health concerns that can be
affected by the home.
- Healthy home resources and materials.
- Healthy Home Assessments
- Environmental grant programs (View our current grant programs)
Patients with the following diagnosis can be referred to us:
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Other Respiratory Conditions
- Other conditions, i.e. leukemia
- Lead Poison (Get more information about Lead Investigations and Education)
one of the following medical
- Symptoms are perennial & flare on exposure
- Environmental exposure is suspected of triggering symptoms
- Continued exposure is likely
- Patient has some control over environment
If your patient's medical diagnosis or condition is not listed
and/or if you are not sure if they can be referred, contact us.
Children's Mercy Patient Referrals
View printable instructions
- Sign into Cerner
- Click on Orders
- Search for "Environmental Health Referral"
- Please provide a brief comment on why you're referring the
- Submit the order. (The referral should appear under the
- We will receive the order via email and our printer.
Non-Children's Mercy Patient Referrals
View the referral form
- Complete the referral form and have the healthcare provider
sign the referral.
- Provide the patient's current Asthma Action Plan (if
- Fax the forms to us at 816-960-8891.
Contact us if you have any questions regarding referrals.