Is Patient Ready For
The following requirements should be met for the hospitalized
asthmatic patient to be discharged:
- Resolution of respiratory distress.
- Able to tolerate oral intake, including medications.
- Discontinuation of supplemental oxygen with adequate oxygen
saturations ( ≥ 93%).
- Infrequent bronchodilator treatments (no more frequent than
every 6 hours).
- Family is comfortable with discharge plans.
These guidelines do not establish a standard of care to be followed in every case. It is recognized that each case is different and those individuals involved in providing health care are expected to use their judgment in determining what is in the best interests of the patient based on the circumstances existing at the time.
It is impossible to anticipate all possible situations that may exist and to prepare guidelines for each. Accordingly these guidelines should guide care with the understanding that departures from them may be required at times.