Goals of asthma treatment include:
- Be active in sports and exercise without cough, wheeze,
shortness of breath or chest tightness.
- Sleep through the night without cough wheeze, shortness of
breath or chest tightness.
- No school, work or activity absences.
- Prevent asthma attacks from occurring.
- Maintain normal peak flows.
- Infrequent use of rescue medications.
These guidelines do not establish a standard of care to be followed in every case. It is recognized that each case is different and those individuals involved in providing health care are expected to use their judgment in determining what is in the best interests of the patient based on the circumstances existing at the time.
It is impossible to anticipate all possible situations that may exist and to prepare guidelines for each. Accordingly these guidelines should guide care with the understanding that departures from them may be required at times.