Faculty Development Workshops
The Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) offers workshops covering teaching, research, clinical skills and service topics that support faculty development, both professionally and personally. These workshops include internal and external specialists presenting informational and continuing educational seminars. Examples of the types of workshops offered include:
Education and Teaching
- A Primer on Promotion: Preparing for Promotion from Day One - This workshop identifies goals and objectives that are supportive to the promotion process with ongoing academic portfolio development.
- Effective Course Design Using Moodle - Based on National Best Practice Standards, this workshop introduces content development using Moodle for Medical Education development.
- Medical Education Research -This workshop will focus on the development of basic educational research skills.
- UMKC Promotion Q&A - This meeting aims to support the faculty in understanding more about the UMKC School of Medicine's academic promotion cycle and process.
- One Minute Preceptor - Attendees learn "microskills" of the One-Minute Preceptor model for clinical teaching.
- EDG Managing Others - Attendees develop skills in conflict management, communication, team development and performance coaching.
- Media Training Workshop - This workshop helps faculty proactively prepare for upcoming interviews by teaching the "secrets of the media industry."
- Our Leadership Challenge - Faculty participate in a robust discussion on the leadership challenges they face.
- 10 Basics of Clear Writing in Medical Science - Attendees learn why journal articles that combine good writing with good science can quickly advance one's career and influence.
- The Basics of Successful Scientific Writing - Attendees learn tips on how to communicate ideas as effectively as possible by developing the clarity that marks the best scientific writing.
- Grant Writers Seminar - This seminar comprehensively addresses both practical and conceptual aspects that are important to the proposal-writing process.
- Manuscript Preparation - This series of group writing and editing sessions is intended to increase writing competence, confidence and productivity for junior researchers.
- Preparing for Retirement - Attendees will get tips on topics such as: sources of retirement income, evaluating retirement income needs, income options available from TIAA-CREF and how taxes may affect retirement.