The Children's Mercy heritage of community support was born more than 100 years ago when Children’s Mercy founding sisters Dr. Katharine Berry Richardson and Dr. Alice Berry Graham wrote a list of needs on a chalkboard in front of the hospital. Neighbors rallied to help, and the hospital grew. The generosity of our community continues today, helping to improve the health and well-being of children and supporting their families.
Each year, Children’s Mercy looks to the community to help make the holiday season extra special for our patients and families with donations of toys, books, gift cards and more. Please join us to help put a smile on a patient’s face during this magical time of year.
In addition to the other toys and gifts we receive this time of year, below are the hospital’s most needed items specifically for our infant patients as well as the teenagers and adolescents who are with us this time of year.
- Board books
- Fisher Price Little People sets: plane, bus, barn, house, zoo, etc.
- Infant toys with light/music
- Infant rattles/teethers
- $5 gift cards to local movie theaters, discount department stores (i.e., Target/WalMart), and gas stations (i.e., QT)
- Axe/perfume sets ($15 or less)
- Camelback water bottles (no glass)
- Headphones/earbuds ($15 or less)
- Infinity scarves
- Journals, blank books, and mixed media art journals
- Nail polish/lip gloss
- Purses/wristlets ($15 or less)
- Watches ($15 or less)
Of course, Children’s Mercy always appreciates donations of the following popular items as well:
- Coloring Books
- Clothes for our Clothing Closet
- Please remember that Children’s Mercy cannot accept Nerf guns, spray guns, water guns, pop ball guns, swords, bows and arrows, or toy knives.
- All donations must be new and in original packaging with tags attached
- All items must be free of odors (i.e. smoke)
- Because Children’s Mercy is non-denominational, we ask all donors to respect the beliefs of our patients by not including religious gifts.
- Help us keep our patients safe by only donating items that are non-toxic, non-violent, and do not contain latex.
- All clothing donations must be new and gender neutral with tags still in place
- New and gently used books (no older than 1985) must be in good condition (no marks, odors, torn pages, chewed, etc.). We are unable to accept any textbooks, encyclopedias, dictionaries and used activity books.
- To respect the privacy and current situations of our patients and their families, please refrain from attaching and/or including written messages with your donation
Dropping Off Donations
To protect the health and safety as well as maintain confidentiality of patients and families, all in-kind donations are distributed under the direction of the Volunteer Services/Guest Services and Child Life departments. Please plan to drop off items anytime from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the following location:
Children’s Mercy Adele Hall Campus
Volunteer Services/Guest Services
2401 Gillham Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Please direct any questions or arrange your delivery in advance by calling Volunteer and Guest Services at (816) 234-3496.