For the safety of our patients, families, and volunteers, Children's Mercy has specific requirements for all volunteers.
- Age. College Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school and enrolled in college.
- Time Commitment. We ask college student volunteers to commit to a minimum of 30 hours for the summer session and 85 hours for the school session. It is a weekly three-hour commitment in a specific assignment and schedule. Our program does not provide flex scheduling.
- Process. To ensure Children's Mercy is a good fit for you and to determine which volunteer opportunity is best suited for you, college students must attend an information session to meet with volunteer coordinators before applying to the program.
- Interview. Volunteer Interviews are completed during the information sessions.
- Uniform. volunteers purchase and wear a volunteer uniform. Deposits for the vests are $30.
- Background Check. We require completion of a criminal background check. Children's Mercy also completes the background checks every two years
- Health Clearances. If selected into the volunteer program, we require submission of a health form, immunization record with proof of TDAP, and also require proof of an annual seasonal flu vaccine.
- Orientation and Training. All volunteers will also be required to attend a New Volunteer Orientation and complete online training. Volunteers are also asked to complete additional training as required by the position. The New Volunteer Orientation runs approximately 2 hours. Annual education and training is required for all volunteers.
- Transportation. Free on-site parking is available.
- Confidentiality. Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations and hospital policies.
See a schedule of 2014 volunteer opportunities and registration deadlines, plus tips for making your volunteer experience a success.