For the safety of our patients, families, and volunteers, Children's Mercy has specific requirements for all volunteers.
Adult Volunteer Requirements
- Age. Adult Applicants must be 18 years of age and out of high school, and not enrolled in college courses.
- Time Commitment. We ask adult volunteers to commit to a minimum of 75 hours of service annually, and a weekly 3-hour commitment in a specific assignment and schedule.
- Paperwork. Volunteers must complete online application, health form, and submit immunization records (pdf) with proof of TDAP. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Paperwork takes three to five weeks to process.
- Interview. Volunteers will be invited to complete a face-to-face interview once all paperwork is completed and submitted.
- Uniform. Volunteers purchase and wear a volunteer uniform. Deposits for the vests are $30.
- Background Check. We require completion of a criminal background check. Children's Mercy also completes the background checks every two years.
- Health Clearances. In addition to the health form and proof of TDAP, volunteers are also required to receive an annual seasonal flu vaccine. Free flu vaccines are offered at Children's Mercy.
- Orientation and Training. All volunteers will also be required to attend a New Volunteer Orientation and online training. Volunteers are also asked to complete additional training as required by the position. The New Volunteer Orientation runs approximately 2 hours. Annual education and training is required for all volunteers.
- Transportation. Free On-site parking is available.
- Confidentiality. Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations, and hospital policies