Children's Mercy Hospital offers comprehensive inpatient pediatric rehabilitation services to children who experience functional issues related to brain tumors, orthopedic interventions, infectious processes or oxygen deprivation. Working to achieve long-term improvement in the child's ability and function, our Rehabilitation Medicine team:
- Helps children regain or compensate for lost skills or impairments.
- Establishes an individual teaching plan for each patient and family.
- Works collaboratively to prepare for the transition from hospital to home, school, and community.
- Meets weekly to discuss each patient and develop a personalized treatment plan.
- Sets weekly goals and modifies them as the patient changes.
- Monitors improvements using a variety of objective outcomes-based tools.
Specific inpatient services include:
- Inpatient rehabilitation and neurotrauma program:
- Consultation while in the PICU.
- Intensive inpatient rehabilitation.
- Day treatment and school re-entry programs.
- Tracking outcomes with WeeFIM and other functional outcome tools.
- Electrodiagnostic intraoperative monitoring
- Pediatric baclofen pump program
- EMG/electromyography, inpatient/outpatient