Injury Prevention Programs
The Center for Sports Medicine at Children's Mercy is committed to helping reduce the risk of injuries in student athletes. Our team of athletic trainers, physical therapists, and physicians are experts in identifying injuries that you are at greatest risk for through a comprehensive evaluation, and lower those risks by creating injury prevention programs to keep you in the game!
ACL Injury Prevention Programs
The ACL Injury Prevention Program at the Center for Sports Medicine at Children's Mercy is the first and only in the Kansas City area operated and managed by athletic trainers and physical therapists with Sports Medicine physician oversight. The purpose of the ACL Injury Prevention Program is to decrease the occurrence and frequency of ACL injuries in student athletes. This 6-week program will focus on agility, speed, quickness, mechanics and strengthening of the lower extremity.
Objectives of the program include:
- Reduction of risk factors for ACL injuries
- Explain proper dynamic warm-up for sport preparation
- Demonstrate proper jumping mechanics with control of knee position
- Improve postural awareness during dynamic activities
- Demonstrate increased strength with isokinetic testing
- Integrate home exercise program for continued maintenance
Winter sport athletes, ages 13-16
Pre-testing assessments: August 30 to September 1, 2016
Six-week program runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays: September 6 to October 13, 2016 from 7-8 p.m.
Post-testing assessments: October 25 to October 27, 2016
Children's Mercy Blue Valley
6750 W. 135th Street
Overland Park, KS 66223
Mallory Valenstein, LAT, ATC