Pediatric Orthopedics Patient Resources
Prior to Scheduling Your Appointment
- If your child has generalized pain issues or a new injury, they will need to be evaluated by your primary care provider (PCP) or an emergency room/urgent care center so that X-rays can be done, if appropriate, and to determine the urgency of appointment scheduling.
- If your child is 9 years or older and experiencing back pain, they will need to be evaluated and managed by your PCP. Back pain is frequently treated with physical therapy which can be ordered by your PCP. If your child is experiencing back pain and is less than 9 years old, they will need to be evaluated by your PCP to determine whether or not an appointment with an Orthopaedic Surgeon is needed.
- If your child has Scoliosis, they will need to be evaluated by your PCP to determine the degree of curvature and have x-rays done. Once this preliminary evaluation is completed, call the Orthopaedic Surgery Clinic to schedule your appointment. You will need to provide the schedulers with the degree of curvature.
Preparing for a Visit
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time to register and complete paperwork. Expect to be here at least two hours for your entire appointment. Dress appropriately for the type of injury you are being seen for:
- Lower extremity injuries, please bring/wear shorts
- Upper extremity injuries, please bring/wear tank top or sports bra (girls)
Please bring the following with you to your appointment:
- Photo identification for the parent
- Insurance information for the patient and copay if needed
- Films and CD of X-rays/MRI/CT/bone scan results or any other diagnostic test and the written reports performed anywhere other than at Children’s Mercy