Things to Know Before Your Visit
You should arrive at the Physical & Occupational Therapy Department (1st floor) at Children’s Mercy Hospital downtown location (2401 Gillham Road, Kansas City, MO 64108) promptly at 7:30 a.m. Allow time to check in through security and be prepared to present a valid form of identification.
You will pick your child up at the Don Chisholm Learning Center, Center for Children’s Healthy Lifestyles and Nutrition (610 E. 22nd St, Kansas City, MO 64108; 1st floor), one block north of the main hospital promptly at 4:30 p.m.
Your child will be escorted between these locations each morning by a RAPS team member. They should dress accordingly for rain, warm and cool temperatures, etc.
Medications and Allergies
Please bring your child’s prescription medications with you to the hospital on day of admission. Also bring a typed or written list of medications with dosages and times. This list should include prescription and non-prescription medications. This is so that the clinical staff that admits you has an accurate list of medications and times. Please include a list of any food or medication allergies your child may have.
What to Wear
All patients must dress modestly – clothes should be comfortable and allow you to move through your exercises with ease – long gym shorts, t-shirts, sweatpants (keep in mind, you may get warm!), yoga pants
- Sport sneakers that tie
- Shorts must not be too short – if your shorts are shorter than mid-thigh, or very baggy, you must wear biker shorts or leggings under them
- If you prefer to wear pants, they need to be loose enough to be able to move easily
- Jeans, pajama bottoms, and tank tops are not permitted
What to Bring With You
- Reusable water bottle (You can refill the bottle as required, so one should be enough)
- Fingerless gloves (bike riding or weight lifting gloves) to protect your hands during floor exercises
- Backpack or gym bag
- Headphones and music for while you are on the bike, treadmill, or elliptical to help pass the time
- Bathing suit (please be modest with your swim wear – no bikinis – if a bikini is your only suit, you must wear a t-shirt over it)
- Personal toiletries for use after showering after the pool – shampoo, shower gel/soap, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Loofah or mesh ball for scrubbing in the shower
- Hair brush/comb
- If you have a special interest or hobby – music, art, sports, crafts, hobbies – that you enjoy and would like to be part of your therapy, please bring them with you. Things such as musical instrument, sewing, craft such as needlepoint or knitting, sports equipment such as lacrosse stick, field hockey stick, baseball glove, or catcher’s mitt are encouraged.
Places to Stay
For hotel accommodations, please see the attached hotel list. If you would like a referral to Ronald McDonald House, or have any lodging questions, please contact our social worker Megan Fitzgerald at 816-234-3244.