Fellows, Residents and Medical Students
Children's Mercy offers a three-year comprehensive clinical and research experience. Find out more about the Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship. We also provide education in pediatric nephrology to residents and medical students.
Education is a key component of the Division of Nephrology activities at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.
We hold multiple conferences on a regular basis to enhance patient care and to provide learning forums for medical students, residents, fellows and faculty. Our division earned the "Outstanding Teaching Division" award at Children's Mercy in 2009-2010. Education programs include:
- Nephrology Rounds - A daily inpatient service activity on all in-house patients. The rounds are attended by faculty, fellows, dialysis and transplant nurses, social workers, nutritionists, pharmacists and other support staff.
- Dialysis Conference - A bimonthly conference attended by all multidisciplinary team members to review patient laboratory, medical and psychosocial information.
- Transplantation Conference - A monthly case-based discussion and evaluation of potential transplant recipients and updates on prior transplant recipients.
- Pathology Conference - A biweekly review of light, immunofluorescence and electron microscopic findings of recently performed kidney biopsies with staff pathologists.
- Urology/Nephrology/Radiology Conference - A monthly case-based discussion of cases with potential surgical issues that is attended by nephrology, urology and radiology faculty/staff.
- Research Conference - A bimonthly review of current research projects from within the Division of Nephrology.
- Nephrology Grand Rounds - An every other month faculty or fellow presentation on topics of interest to the Division of Nephrology.
- Clinical Case Conference - A monthly case-based interactive conference to answer questions regarding patient diagnosis and management.
- Lunch with the Professor - A bimonthly informal discussion about a nephrology topic led by a member of the nephrology faculty.
- Core Curriculum Didactics - A monthly one-hour discussion covering an assigned pediatric nephrology topic.
- Journal Club - A monthly review of a group of articles related to a clinical/research issue identified by the fellow's inpatient or outpatient experience. Articles are presented by nephrology fellows and faculty.