Home > Clinics and Services > Clinics and Departments > Hearing and Speech > What are Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists?
Hearing and Speech What are Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists?
Hearing and Speech What are Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists?

The Hearing and Speech Clinic at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics provides hearing and speech-language pathology services and therapy to children with  communication disorders.

The Hearing and Speech Clinic has the following professionals who care for children: audiologists and speech-language pathologists.


Audiology is a part of science that works with hearing, balance and related problems.

Audiologists are healthcare workers who diagnose, manage and treat hearing problems. 

At Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, audiologists test to see if a child can hear within the normal range. If not, they figure out which  pitches children have trouble hearing and to what degree, and what type of hearing loss children have. If the audiologist finds that the child has hearing loss, he/she talks with the child, the child's family and other medical staff about a plan of action to help the child.

An audiologist has a degree in audiology, either a master's or a doctorate. A certified audiologist will have the letters CCC-A or FAAA behind his/her name. CCC-A stands for Certificate of Clinical Competence, which means that the audiologist is certified to work in clinical situations with patients.

This certification is given by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). In order to work at Children's Mercy, an audiologist must have this certification. FAAA stands for Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology (AAA). AAA is an association that represents audiology.

For more information please visit the  Audiology Program.

Return to top


Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP)

Speech-language pathology is a part of science that works with  communication disorders.

Speech-language pathologists help children develop communication skills and work with problems with speech, language, cognitive-communication, voice, swallowing and fluency. They are commonly referred to as speech pathologists.

Speech pathologists have a master's degree or a doctorate, and must do a training fellowship prior to seeing patients. By doing this fellowship, a speech pathologist gets the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP). Just like the CCC-A for audiologists, this certification for speech-language pathologists is through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).

For more information, please visit the  Speech Program.

Return to top

Copyright © 2017 Children's Mercy Kansas City