General and Thoracic Surgery Chest Deformities
General and Thoracic Surgery Chest Deformities

Chest Deformities

Pectus excavatum is the most common chest wall deformity seen in the United States, accounting for approximately 70 percent of chest wall deformities. Pectus carinatum accounts for the remaining 30 percent of chest wall deformities in this country.

Though these conditions aren't commonly seen by primary care providers, both are frequently treated at the Children's Mercy Kansas City Center for Pectus Excavatum and Pectus Carinatum, a regional referral center established in 2011.

Pectus Excavatum

Pectus excavatum (sunken chest, funnel chest) is the most common abnormality of the chest in children.
Learn more »

Pectus Carinatum

Pectus carinatum (PC) is a common pediatric condition characterized by an abnormal overgrowth of the rib cartilages.
Learn more »

Copyright © 1996-2016 The Children's Mercy Hospital