Children's Mercy provides the latest information, research, and resources to help patients and families manage asthma. You'll find important information about how to recognize symptoms, avoid common triggers, and manage the onset of asthma.
Follow us on Twitter for asthma seasonal tips.
It is a common disease that affects one out of every 10 people. Asthma causes the airways to become sensitive and easily irritated by things breathed into the lungs. When the airways become irritated, the muscles on the outside of the airways spasm or squeeze causing blocked airways. Although some children develop asthma while having no family history of the condition, there is often a genetic link. More information about asthma (pdf).
Watch a feature about us on Fox 4 KC.
Asthma Education Highlights
- Our team provides step-by-step asthma action plans to help families manage the effects of asthma
- We host weekly classes for patients and families at Children's Mercy Hospital and Children's Mercy South
- Our Allergy, Asthma and Immunology team is constantly pursuing new research projects, including active clinical trials
- Find out if your child's asthma is well controlled. Asthma Control.
- Learn about early and advanced warning signs of an asthma episode, as well as how to minimize potential triggers