Children's Mercy provides the latest information, research, and resources to help patients and families manage asthma. You'll find important information about how to recognize symptoms, avoid common triggers, and manage the onset of asthma.
Follow us on Twitter for asthma seasonal tips.
It is a common disease that affects one out of every 10 people. Asthma causes the airways to become sensitive and easily irritated by things breathed into the lungs. When the airways become irritated, the muscles on the outside of the airways spasm or squeeze causing blocked airways. Although some children develop asthma while having no family history of the condition, there is often a genetic link. More information about asthma (pdf).
Free Online Asthma Class
Take our free online asthma course to learn more information about how to care for your child's asthma needs.
Take the course
Fall Saturday Asthma Classes
Find information here (pdf)
We are excited to be one of the 22 food allergy centers of excellence in the new Food Allergy Clinical Network. More information here. You can also watch a video to learn more about what a visit to our Food Allergy Clinic is like.
Asthma Education Highlights
- Our team provides step-by-step asthma action plans to help families manage the effects of asthma
- We host weekly classes for patients and families at Children's Mercy Hospital and Children's Mercy Kansas
- Our Allergy, Asthma and Immunology team is constantly pursuing new research projects, including active clinical trials
- Find out if your child's asthma is well controlled. Asthma Control.
- Learn about early and advanced warning signs of an asthma episode, as well as how to minimize potential triggers