Weighing In supports collaborative community-based approaches to increase the number of children at a healthy weight. One of our primary goals is reducing the obesity rates for children and adolescents throughout Kansas City.
How Many Children Are Obese?
||1 in 10 (9.6 %)
||1 in 8 (13.4 %)
||1 in 6 (15.7 %)
||1 in 4 (22.5 %)
||1 in 6 (17.1 %)
||1 in 4 25.4 %)
* NHANES-Obesity trends in children
**Children's Mercy's well-child checks, 31,700 in 2011-2012
Obesity in children is defined as a Body Mass Index-BMI-greater than or equal to 95th percentile for age and sex.
How We're Taking Action
- Provide educational opportunities on prevention and treatment approaches;
- Use a systems approach and facilitate networking opportunities for the varied healthcare, school, public health, and community organizations with an interest in childhood obesity prevention and treatment;
- Support community working groups focused on specific settings or issues, such as early childhood, schools, treatment, and building comprehensive healthy lifestyle approaches; and
- Track our collective progress in the region and evaluate what is working.