- Members are 13-18 years old and currently patients of Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics (membership may extend beyond age 18 if still a current patient).
- The board consists of a minimum of eight members.
- Meetings facilitators include the Family Centered Care Manager, Child Life Director, and Child Life Supervisor.
- A minimum of one board member will be chosen to be the board's president(s).
- Members should not miss more than 60% of meetings due to unexcused absences.
- Members display mutually respectful behaviors at all times.
- Members will maintain good attendance and good grades at school.
- The board meets once every month on Monday evenings. There may be additional meetings due to special events.
- The meetings will be 1.5 hours in length at a predetermined location.
- The meeting agenda and minutes will be distributed to all appropriate individuals.
- Parents support their teen's involvement in the Teen Advisory Board.
- The parent(s) assumes responsibility for transportation to the meetings and activities.
- A parent authorization form allowing pictures of the board members to be taken will be signed. These pictures may be used for various projects or publicity.
Member recommendations are received from Children's Mercy personnel. All recommendations must go through the TAB application process. Qualities to consider when making recommendations are:
- Amount and type of hospital or clinic experience.
- The teen's willingness to express feelings, ask questions and share ideas.
- The parent's commitment to support their teen in this group and to provide transportation for their teen to and from the meetings.
- The teen's ability to maintain interest in a one to two hour meeting.
- The teen has good attendance and good grades at school.